My Covid19 experience in Thailand

Updated: Jul 24, 2020

🇪🇸 Para Español desplazarse hacia abajo

🇮🇹 Per Italiano dopo la traduzione in Spagnolo

I apologize in advance for this long post, but I want to be as detailed as I can because up to this day, I still cannot believe this happened to me. Please also keep in mind, that this was my experience with Thai immigration, and in my opinion, it could have been handled so much better.

At the beginning of January this year, my husband booked us a 2 week holiday to Phuket, Thailand, for our birthdays in March.

We currently live in a small, quiet Japanese town, and the closest Airport is in Fukuoka, an hour and twenty minutes drive away from our home. We decided to go to Fukuoka by bus, a day prior to our flight, to explore the city and spend the night there since our flight was at 7 am the following day.

Friday, March 13th: Departure day from Japan and my birthday.

We headed to the airport at 5:30 am and even though, it was early in the morning, and absolutely a ghost town, the flight schedule board had 10 departing flights, with all flights being canceled flashing in red, except for two: one to Taipei, Taiwan, and the other one, which was our flight, to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

We boarded the plane and off we went to start our holiday!

After flying for 6 hours, we arrived in Kuala Lumpur. Our layover there was around 5 hours. Because there’s current chaos in the world with a pandemic known as COVID19, my husband and I were killing time by reading stuff on the internet. We came across many different things about travel warnings, travel bans, just about everything, that I did not know if we were going to face any issues traveling to Thailand. I got up and asked a couple of people working at the airport and the people that scan boarding passes at the gate, if there were any problems for me flying to Thailand as an Italian passport holder, or because we were coming from Japan, and they all told me no, there are no issues, no restrictions, nothing to worry about.

Once we got on the plane, I was sitting by the window seat, my husband in the middle, and while a man was sitting next to my husband by the aisle seat, this man said in Italian: “ah, another Italian!”. I was so relieved! I was having heartaches and headaches at the KUL airport from reading all sorts of crazy things without knowing what to believe, that as soon as I saw I wasn’t the only Italian, I felt like my worries were all gone.

This Italian man’s name was Marco, and while my husband and I chatted with him the whole one hour flight, we learned that he was living and working in Thailand. Marco told us that the Thai Immigration might overreact with his and my passport for being Italians, but once we explain everything, we’ll be fine.

We got off the plane, and went to line up in the immigration line. A lady saw Marco’s and my passport, and we immediately got pulled to the side. They told my husband he could stay in line since he had a US passport, but of course, he got out of the line to come with me.

Some Immigration men checked Marco’s and my passport, and they let him get back in line.

Because he lives and works in Thailand, he already had a visa on his passport, but not me, they took me to the Immigration Officer’s room.

As soon as we get there, my passport has been handed into the Immigration Officer and he starts yelling: ITALY NOOOOO, NO, NO NOOOOOOO ITALY !!!! My husband right away asks what the problem was, and this man kept yelling: ITALIAN NOOOO ENTRY! NO ITALY! Trying to get some sense out of him, asking him questions calmly, he then adds: FROM TODAY, NO ITALY! My husband and I were trying to explain to him that even though, I do hold an Italian passport because I was born and raised there, it’s been since 2007, that I have not lived in Italy, which is 13 years, and last time I went there was 3 years ago! This man kept yelling: YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND!!! NO ITALY!!

My husband frustrated was explaining to him that I am also a U.S resident, it has been a long time since I haven’t been to Italy, so, why would I not be let in. Once again, the Immigration Officer yells: FROM TODAY, NO ITALY! YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND, ITALY NO NO NO. I DON’T CARE SHE U.S RESIDENT AND DON’T LIVE IN ITALY, BUT ITALIAN PASSPORT NOOOO ENTRY!!!!!!!!!!!

Because of this man’s way of treating us, yelling at us, and realizing I would have not be let into Thailand, I started breaking down in tears. It has been a long day of traveling, it was already 9:45 pm, all we wanted to do was to go check into our hotel, and just go have a nice birthday dinner.

The Immigration Officer starts typing on his computer while holding my passport, he was printing copies, filling out forms. An Air Asia flight attendant tells us: “Italians are not being let in, for precautions to not let the COVID19 spread”. One more time, my husband and I attempted to explain that I DO NOT LIVE IN ITALY AND HAVE NOT BEEN IN 3 YEARS.

The flight attendant said “I’m sorry, but the Thai Embassy made this decision, so we cannot let you in” I asked: “since when this became a thing? I understand if I was flying from Italy, or been there recently, but I haven’t been in such a long time, plus, I was concerned before flying here and asked several people working at the KUL airport, including staff from Air Asia if there were any issues with us flying from Japan to Thailand, or me being Italian, and every single person I asked, told me all was fine and to not worry, but If I knew I was not going to be let into the country, I would have not stepped foot in that last flight before getting here”.

She replies with: “This law came out a couple of hours ago, and I apologize KUL Airport did not inform you accordingly, but it does not matter if you are not coming from Italy, you are Italian, you have an Italian passport, so we will have to send you back to Kuala Lumpur. The last flight is due to depart in an hour so, you will be on that flight”. My husband was trying to convince them to let us in, because we were not well informed, they should have made an exception, since this law came out while we were practically traveling the whole day. But they did not care.

At this point, I’ve been through so much stress already, that my chest was aching, feeling so tight, that I wanted to leave Thailand and just go back to KUL and decide where else to go. But things were about to get worse. About 20 minutes passed, and the flight attendant lets us know that we were not going to make it to tonight’s flight and that we were going to fly out tomorrow morning. While all this is happening, the Immigration Officer says loudly to me: AHHH, TODAY YOUR BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAHAHA” literally laughing at me while I had tears on my face. As if this wasn’t enough, the flight attendant then proceeds to say the following to my husband: “Since your wife is being deported and you guys are flying out tomorrow morning, we will have to keep her passport and detain her, she will spend the night in a detention room. Tomorrow morning, right before your flight, we will escort her to the boarding gate to you, and give her passport back”. -WHAT?!- I literally have done nothing wrong, and I’m hearing I will be detained and deported from Thailand? Are you insane? I was not even sick, I did not show any symptoms, I have not been tested for COVID19 or came from Italy, and they were going to detain me and deport me?… I just couldn’t believe it.

I was literally shocked that I couldn’t think anything else besides WHAT inside my head. My husband was as surprised as I was and told them that this was crazy. All this was happening because they decided to deny entry to Italians last minute, while we were traveling all day, and all because of COVID19.

Tired of trying to explain ourselves, we just went along with what we’ve been told to do. I couldn’t even talk, so my husband told them we were going to spend the night at the airport and leave the next day.

The flight attendant then says: “Sir, you cannot stay with her, she needs to be detained. Detention rooms are separated by sexes and you are free to go. Tomorrow morning, we will bring her to you at the boarding gate”. After many ups and downs, trying to process what was going on, listening to these crazy things, my husband asked if he could keep a hold on to my passport for safety. They refused, and said it was going to be confiscated until I would get on that plane back to KUL tomorrow morning.

I was hungry and angry, with nothing else left to fight for. I’ve told my husband to just go to the hotel and sleep there for the night, and try to get a refund back for the stay. Before he would leave and I was going to be walked to the detention room, he asked if I would be able to communicate with him while being detained, and the airport staff told us the WiFi connection might not reach in there, so the best thing to do would be to buy me a SIM card. After buying a SIM card, I’ve asked if I could eat. The girl in charge of taking me to the detention room told us that the only way was to send my husband to buy me food and then he will give it to her, and she will bring it to me. Agreeing to this, I kissed my husband goodbye (from what it seemed) because I was literally being taken away.

She walked me to a side of the airport that said STAFF only. After a couple of meters we turned to the left and there was a hallway full of file cabinets and two doors. The first door had a restroom sign for men and the second one, for women. In front of these doors, there was a chair where someone sat as a guard. As soon as I have been walked in front of the women’s door, I realized both of the doors were locked. The girl unlocked the female door 3 times and once I got into the room, I saw 2 girls sleeping and 2 girls talking on their phones. There was a castle bed, 2 couches, and a chair in this room. There was also a bathroom. It smelled like piss, and there was no hand soap. Nice one! I mean, the whole point of me being there is because there is a pandemic going around the world, in which everyone is required to practice hygiene at all times, by washing hands with hand soap frequently, and I’m being locked up, AND THERE’S NO SOAP?…just speechless.

Upset to process what was going on, I sat down and cried. I couldn’t believe it was my birthday and was in a room locked up as if I was a criminal. A couple of minutes later someone unlocks the door, and I see it was the same girl that walked me in there, bringing me the food my husband sent me with her. Then a couple of minutes later a new detained girl comes into the room. She asked me if I was ok, and I explained to her that even if I was showing myself weak because I was crying, I was mostly upset because it was my birthday and didn’t understand why I was there. We started talking and then all of the other girls started introducing themselves. 3 girls were from India, 1 from Ethiopia and 1 from Mexico. The Ethiopian girl pulled out a document from the Thai Embassy with a list of countries unable to get a Visa On Arrival (VOA). All of our countries were on the list. This was not my first time in Thailand, I have previously been back in 2016, and got a VOA as soon as I got there, but that’s why I was not able to get in this time, because VOAs have been suspended from March 13th to September 30th, 2020 for certain countries. What I could not understand, is that this document had Russia too, yet when I was being walked to the detention room, there was an Aeroflot flight that was coming from Moscow, Russia, and I’m sure there were Russians in it, but nobody from that flight was being detained. If the Thai Immigration was going to apply their “law” to everyone, why were Russians being let in? This is why I say this is unfair. If you are going to apply rules, apply them to everyone. There should not be any kind of favoritism.

While I kept talking to these girls, I learned that their layover before getting to Phuket was in Kuala Lumpur as well, but they flew in with Malaysia Airlines, unlike me that I flew in with Air Asia. But the Immigration Officer made them all purchase tickets back to KUL ..with me, they only made my husband pay for his flight, but since I was being deported, I was not going to be charged to fly back. So why did they make all of these girls pay for their flights back to KUL if they were being deported like me? And not to mention, their flights, including my husband’s, were required to be paid in cash only to the Immigration Officer. And where did that money really go, to the airline? Or to him?

The girls were hungry, I was the only one with food, so they started knocking on the door to get someone’s attention. A guy came into the room and agreed to go buy them food. Whatever money was given to him, he was asking for more, saying it wasn’t going to be enough. Once he got back with the food, he didn’t bring any change or receipt to them.

Around midnight, some of the girls were asleep, and some were on the phone, I included. I kept messaging my husband, family, and friends because I couldn’t close my eyes. I couldn’t rest because the door was part glass, even if the glass part was all tinted in black, there was a line that was see-through and throughout my whole time in there, there were men occasionally walking by to look at us from this spot, making me feel uncomfortable and a little scared.

While I had a restless night, I started banging on the door at 6:20 am to be let out and go to my boarding gate. A guy opens the door very carefully, making sure I wouldn’t have any space to step out. I told him my flight was coming up soon and been told the night before from his colleagues, that someone would come to get me out at 6:30 am. He just said “no, you wait” and closed the door and locked us again.

I did not want to miss my flight, all I wanted to do at this point was to get my passport and be with my husband. The Ethiopian and Mexican girl kept banging on the door to help me get out of there, because they were afraid I was going to miss my flight and they were going to do the same with all of them. My flight was at 8 am while the rest of the girls at 10 am, so they still had time, but I have been told I was going to get out of there at 6:30 am and there was nobody coming for me!

It was 7 am and a guy wearing a security vest unlocked the door and called out my name. I felt so relieved, and so did all of the girls and wished me good luck. This man took me back to the Immigration Officer’s office and there was an English man with a 3-year-old, and wife with a Chinese passport. I could see their frustration with him trying to explain to them that she was a UK resident, and hasn’t been to China in years. A person working for Immigration told him they did not care but had 2 options: either go back to the UK -or- go to Malaysia, and apply for a tourist visa for his wife. I got in their conversation and told him they made me spend the night in a detention room and they were deporting me, and that if they were going to Malaysia and apply for a visa, it will take the time and money and there is no guarantee she will get it, and how things are right now, most likely she will get it denied. As soon as I said that to him, the security guy tells me to grab my things, that we were ready to go. I quickly wished this family good luck and walked away. While security was escorting me to the gate, guess what? Another Aeroflot plane just landed, and I could hear Russian being spoken, but nobody was being detained, they were being greeted by Thai people very nicely.

After walking for about 10 minutes, I was able to see my husband. I had all eyes on me from travelers, seeing that I was walking with security, I was getting so many bad looks, I just wish they knew what really happened. As soon as we got into the plane, I asked for my passport, the security guy gave it to a flight attendant and tells me it will be given to me in KUL.

Once we landed at KUL, the flight attendant gave my passport to the airport staff and instructs us to go with him. Following him, he takes us to a seating area and asks us to show him our returning flights. At this point my husband and I read that the Philippines and Indonesia closed its borders and with fear that Japan will do the same, and with what just happened to me, we didn’t want anything else but to go back home. My husband went ahead and bought flights back to Fukuoka, and showed them to this guy. He then proceeds to ask us to follow him. He took us to a room filled with people sitting on the ground. They looked Indian, and there were about 200 of them. In this room, my picture and fingerprints were taken, and at last, my passport was returned to me. “I was free”. I felt bad for those people sitting on the floor, I did not know why they were there for, but the authorities were not treating them nicely.

As soon as I had my passport in my hands, my husband and I quickly got out of there and went to book a hotel in the Airport. It was 10 am and our flight back to Fukuoka was not until 11:45 pm. What we loved is that KUL airport has about 5 hotels, more or less, all inside the airport. Very convenient.

We checked in and I immediately went to take a shower. It has been 31 hours since I last showered. Of course after showering, we just went to nap. We made sure to get up a couple of hours before our flight, to go grab some food, and shop a bit since we noticed there were many stores. I took pictures of stores and food, I mean, the reality was that we were going back home, without having any holidays, and I just wanted to keep a positive attitude.

It was finally 11:15 pm and we went to our boarding gate. Upon showing my passport at the gate, a lady checked my temperature and while speaking to her colleague in her language, I have noticed she said “Italy”.

I immediately told her I live in Japan and showed her my Japanese permit in my passport, and they let me proceed.

We got on the plane and arrived in Fukuoka on Sunday, March 15th at 7 am. Upon immigration, a Japanese man says ITALY while pointing at my passport. But as I showed him my Japanese permit, he lets me advance in line. A different Immigration agent hands me a paper asking if I’ve been to Italy, Hong Kong, or China in the past 14 days. I checked the box that said no, dated it, and signed it and they let me go. That was it. I was back home.

At the end of the day, I always believe everything happens for a reason. Today, March 18th, 5 days after the above has happened, I’m thankful for being safe and sound at home with my husband and our puppy. If we decided to stay in Malaysia for a couple more days, to have a mini-vacation, we would have been stuck in the country, since Malaysia closed their borders yesterday on the 17th. Sadden with what happened to us in Thailand, all I wish was for the Thai Immigration to have treated me differently. My 25th birthday is definitely a birthday I will never forget.

(Pictures of this experience at the bottom of this post)


Me disculpo de antemano por esta larga publicación, pero quiero ser lo más detallado posible porque hasta el día de hoy, todavía no puedo creer que esto me haya sucedido. Tenga en cuenta también que esta fue mi experiencia con la inmigración tailandesa y, en mi opinión, podría haberse manejado mucho mejor.

A principios de enero de este año, mi esposo nos reservó unas vacaciones de 2 semanas en Phuket, Tailandia, para nuestros cumpleaños en marzo.

Actualmente vivimos en una pequeña y tranquila ciudad Japonesa, y el aeropuerto más cercano está en Fukuoka, a una hora y veinte minutos en coche de nuestra casa. Decidimos ir a Fukuoka en autobús, un día antes de nuestro vuelo, para explorar la ciudad y pasar la noche allí, ya que nuestro vuelo era a las 7 am del día siguiente.

Viernes 13 de marzo: Día de salida desde Japón y mi cumpleaños.

Nos dirigimos al aeropuerto a las 5:30 a.m. y aunque era temprano en la mañana, y absolutamente parecía un pueblo fantasma, el panel de programación de vuelos tenía 10 vuelos de salida, con todos los vuelos cancelados, parpadeando en rojo, excepto dos: uno a Taipei, Taiwán, y el otro, que era nuestro vuelo, a Kuala Lumpur, Malasia.

¡Abordamos el avión y nos fuimos para empezar nuestras vacaciones!

Después de volar durante 6 horas, llegamos a Kuala Lumpur. Nuestra escala fue alrededor de 5 horas. Debido a que actualmente hay un caos en el mundo con una pandemia conocida como COVID19, mi esposo y yo estábamos matando el tiempo leyendo cosas en Internet. Encontramos muchas cosas diferentes sobre advertencias de viaje, prohibiciones de viaje, casi todo, que no sabía si íbamos a enfrentar algún problema al viajar a Tailandia. Me levanté y pregunté a un par de personas que trabajaban en el aeropuerto y a las personas que escanean las tarjetas de embarque en la puerta, si había algún problema para mí volar a Tailandia como titular de un pasaporte Italiano, o porque veníamos de Japón, y todos ellos me decían que no, no hay problemas, no hay restricciones, nada de qué preocuparse.

Una vez que subimos al avión, estaba sentada en el asiento de la ventana, mi esposo en el medio, y mientras un hombre se estaba sentando al lado de mi esposo en el asiento del pasillo, este hombre dijo en Italiano: "¡Ah, otra Italiana!”. ¡ Me sentí tan aliviada! Estaba teniendo dolores de cabeza por leer todo tipo de locuras sin saber qué creer, qué tan pronto que vi que no era la única Italiana, sentí que mis preocupaciones se habían ido.

El nombre de este hombre Italiano era Marco, y mientras mi esposo y yo estuvimos conversando con él durante todo el vuelo de una hora, supimos que el vivía y trabajaba en Tailandia. Marco nos dijo que la Inmigración Tailandesa podría reaccionar exageradamente con su y mi pasaporte por ser Italianos, pero una vez que expliquemos todo, estaremos bien.

Nos bajamos del avión y nos alineamos en la línea de Inmigración. Una señora vio el pasaporte de Marco y el mío, que de inmediato nos movieron a un lado. Le dijeron a mi esposo que él podía permanecer en la fila ya que tenía un pasaporte Estadounidense, pero, por supuesto, él se salió de la fila para estar conmigo.

Algunos hombres de Inmigración revisaron el pasaporte de Marco y el mío, pero a él lo dejaron volver a la fila.

Como el vive y trabaja en Tailandia, ya tenía una visa en su pasaporte, pero a mí, me llevaron a la sala del Oficial de Inmigración.

Tan pronto que llegamos allí, mi pasaporte fue entregado al Oficial de Inmigración y él comienza a gritar: ITALIA NOOOOO, NO, NO NOOOOOOO ITALIA !!!! Mi esposo inmediatamente preguntó cuál era el problema, y este hombre seguía gritando: ENTRADA ITALIANA NOOOO! NO ITALIA! Intentando sacarle algo de sentido a este hombre, haciéndole preguntas con calma, luego él agrega: DESDE HOY, NO ITALIA! Mi esposo y yo estábamos tratando de explicarle qué, aunque tengo un pasaporte Italiano, porque nací y crecí allí, es desde el 2007 que no he vivido en Italia, que son 13 años, y la última vez que fui allí fue hace 3 años! Este hombre seguía gritando: ¡NO ENTIENDEN! NO ITALIA !!

Mi esposo, frustrado, le estaba explicando que también soy residente de los Estados Unidos, que ha pasado mucho tiempo desde que no he estado en Italia, entonces, ¿por qué no me dejarían entrar? Una vez más, el Oficial de Inmigración grita: ¡DESDE HOY, NO ITALIA! USTED NO ENTIENDE, ITALIA NO NO NO. NO ME IMPORTA ELLA RESIDENTE DE ESTADOS UNIDOS Y NO VIVE EN ITALIA, PERO LA ENTRADA DE PASAPORTE ITALIANO NOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!

Debido a la forma en que este hombre nos estaba tratando, gritándonos sin parar, y al darme cuenta de que no me iban a dejar entrar a Tailandia, empecé a llorar. Ha sido un largo día de viaje, ya eran las 9:45 pm, todo lo que queríamos hacer era registrarnos en nuestro hotel y simplemente ir a celebrar una agradable cena de cumpleaños.

El Oficial de Inmigración empezó a escribir en su computadora mientras sostenía mi pasaporte, imprimiendo copias, llenando formularios. Una azafata de Air Asia nos dice: "No se permite la entrada a Italianos, por precauciones de no dejar que el COVID19 se expanda. Una vez más, mi esposo y yo intentamos explicarles que NO VIVO EN ITALIA Y QUE NO HE ESTADO EN 3 AÑOS.

La azafata dijo: "Lo siento, pero la Embajada de Tailandia tomó esta decisión, por lo que no podemos dejarte entrar", le pregunté: "¿desde cuándo esto se convirtió en algo? Entiendo si estaba volando desde Italia o estuve allí recientemente, pero no he estado en mucho tiempo, además, estaba preocupada antes de volar aquí y pregunté a varias personas que trabajan en el aeropuerto de KUL, incluido el personal de Air Asia, si hubiéramos enfrentado problemas con nosotros volar desde Japón a Tailandia, o por yo ser italiana, y cada persona que pregunté esto, me dijeron que todo estaba bien y que no me preocupara, pero si sabía que no me dejarían entrar al país, yo no habría pisado pies en ese último vuelo antes de llegar aquí ”.

Ella responde con: "Esta ley salió hace un par de horas, y pido disculpas, que el aeropuerto de KUL no los informó come debían de haber hecho, pero no importa si no vienes de Italia, eres Italiana, tienes pasaporte Italiano, así que tendremos que enviarte de regreso a Kuala Lumpur. El último vuelo saldrá en una hora, así que estarás en ese vuelo ". Mi esposo estaba tratando de convencerlos de que nos dejaran entrar, porque no estábamos informados bien, deberían haber hecho una excepción, ya que esta ley se publicó mientras estábamos viajando prácticamente todo el día. Pero no les importaba nada de lo que decíamos.

A este punto, ya yo había pasado por tanto estrés, que me dolía el pecho, se sentía tan apretado, que quería irme de Tailandia y volver a KUL y decidir a dónde más ir. Pero las cosas estaban a punto de empeorar. Pasaron unos 20 minutos, y la azafata nos dice que no teníamos bastante tiempo para irnos en el vuelo de esta noche, y que íbamos a volar mañana por la mañana. Mientras todo esto sucede, el Oficial de Inmigración me dice en voz alta: AHHH, HOY TU CUMPLEAÑOS! FELIZ CUMPLEAÑOS HAHAHAH ”literalmente riéndose de mí mientras yo tenía lágrimas en la cara. Como si esto no fuera suficiente, la azafata procede a decirle lo siguiente a mi esposo: “Dado que su esposa está siendo deportada y ustedes estarán volando mañana por la mañana, tendremos que guardar su pasaporte y detenerla, ella pasará la noche en una sala de detención. Mañana por la mañana, justo antes de su vuelo, la escoltaremos hasta la puerta de embarque y le devolveremos su pasaporte ”. -¡¿ QUÉ ?! - ¿Literalmente no he hecho nada malo y escucho que seré detenida y deportada de Tailandia? ¿Están locos? Ni siquiera estaba enferma, no mostraba ningunos síntomas, no me hicieron ninguna prueba de COVID19, ni venía de Italia, ¿y me iban a detener y deportar? ... Simplemente no podía creerlo.

Estaba literalmente sorprendida que no podia pensar en otra cosa además de QUÉ dentro de mi cabeza. Mi esposo estaba tan sorprendido como yo y les dijo que esto era una locura. Todo esto sucedió porque decidieron negar la entrada a Italianos a último minuto, mientras estuvimos viajando todo el día, y todo por COVID19. Cansados de tratar de explicarnos, llegamos de acuerdo a colaborar con ellos. Yo ni siquiera podía hablar, así que mi esposo les dijo que pasaríamos la noche en el aeropuerto y nos iríamos al día siguiente. La azafata luego le dice a mi esposo: “Señor, usted no puede quedarse con ella, ella necesita ser detenida. Las salas de detención están separadas por sexos y usted es libre de irse. Mañana por la mañana te la traeremos en la puerta de embarque ”. Después de muchos altos y bajos, tratando de procesar lo que estaba sucediendo, escuchando a todas estas locuras, mi esposo les pidió que el se quedara con mi pasaporte. Se negaron y dijeron que mi pasaporte iba a ser confiscado hasta que me subiera a ese avión de regreso a KUL mañana por la mañana.

Estaba hambrienta y enojada, sin nada más por lo que luchar. Le dije a mi esposo que solo se fuera al hotel y durmiera allí por la noche, y de tratar de obtener un reembolso por la estadía. Antes de el irse y de que me llevaran a la sala de detención, mi esposo preguntó si yo iba a poder comunicarme con él mientras estaba detenida, y el personal del aeropuerto nos dijo que la conexión WiFi podría no llegar allí, así que lo mejor de hacer sería de comprarme una tarjeta SIM. Después de comprar una tarjeta SIM, pregunté si podía comer. La chica a cargo de llevarme a la sala de detención nos dijo que la única forma era enviar a mi esposo a comprarme comida y luego él se la daría a ella, y ella me la traería. De acuerdo con esto, me despedí de mi esposo (por lo que parecía) porque literalmente me estaban llevando.

Ella me llevó a un lado del aeropuerto que solo decía PERSONAL. Después de un par de metros, giramos a la izquierda y había un pasillo lleno de archivadores y dos puertas. La primera puerta tenía una señal de baño para hombres y la segunda, para mujeres. Frente a estas puertas, había una silla donde alguien se sentaba como guardia. Tan pronto que llegamos al frente de la puerta de las mujeres, me di cuenta de que ambas puertas estaban cerradas. La chica abrió la puerta de las mujeres 3 veces y una vez que entré en la habitación, vi a 2 chicas durmiendo y 2 chicas hablando por teléfono. En esta habitación había una cama a castillo, 2 sofás y una silla. También había un baño. Olía a orina, y no había jabón de manos. ¡Buena esa! Quiero decir, la razón en la cual yo estaba allí era porque hay una pandemia en todo el mundo, en la que piden a todos de practicar higiene en todo momento, lavándose las manos con jabón de manos con frecuencia, y estoy encerrada, Y ¿NO HAY JABÓN? ... simplemente sin palabras.

Molesta por procesar lo que estaba pasando, me senté y lloré. No podía creer que era mi cumpleaños y estaba detenida en una habitación como si fuera una criminal. Un par de minutos después, alguien abrió la puerta y veo que era la misma chica que me llevó a esa habitación, trayéndome la comida que mi esposo me envió con ella. Luego, un par de minutos después, una nueva chica detenida entró a la habitación. Ella me preguntó si estaba bien, y le expliqué que aunque si me mostraba débil porque estaba llorando, estaba mayormente molesta porque era mi cumpleaños y no entendía por qué estaba allí. Comenzamos a hablar y luego todas las otras chicas empezaron a presentarse. 3 chicas eran de la India, 1 de Etiopía y 1 de México. La chica Etíope sacó un documento de la embajada de Tailandia con una lista de países que no podían obtener una Visa On Arrival (VOA). Todos nuestros países estaban en la lista. Esta no era mi primera vez en Tailandia, anteriormente había estado en el 2016 y obtuve una VOA tal momento que llegué allí, pero es por eso que no pude conseguirla esta vez, porque las VOA se suspendieron para ciertos países desde el 13 de marzo hasta el 30 de septiembre del 2020. Lo que no pude entender es que este documento también había Rusia, sin embargo, cuando me llevaron a la sala de detención, había un vuelo de Aeroflot que llegaba de Moscú, Rusia, y estoy segura de que habían Rusos en ese vuelo, pero nadie en ese vuelo estaba siendo detenido. Si la Inmigración Tailandesa iba a aplicar su "ley" a todos, ¿por qué dejaron entrar a los Rusos? Por eso digo que esto es injusto. Si van a aplicar reglas, aplíquelas a todos. No debería haber ningún tipo de favoritismo.

Mientras seguía hablando con estas chicas, aprendí que su escala antes de llegar a Phuket también era en Kuala Lumpur, pero todas ellas volaron con Malaysia Airlines, a diferencia de mí, que vole con Air Asia. Pero el Oficial de Inmigración hizo que todas compraran boletos de regreso a KUL ... conmigo, solo hicieron pagar el vuelo de mi esposo, pero a mí, como estaba siendo deportada del país, no me iban a cobrar por volar de regreso. Entonces, ¿por qué hicieron que todas estas chicas pagaran sus vuelos de regreso a KUL si las deportaban como yo? Y sin mencionar que sus vuelos, incluido el de mi esposo, fueron demandados de ser pagados solamente en efectivo al Oficial de Inmigración. ¿Adónde se fue realmente ese dinero, a la aerolínea, o a él? ..

Las chicas tenían hambre, yo era la única que ya tenía comida, así que ellas empezaron a tocar la puerta para llamar la atención de alguien. Un tipo entró en la habitación y se ofreció a comprarles comida. Cualquier dinero que se les entregó a este señor, él pedía mas, diciendo de que no sería suficiente. Una vez que regresó con la comida, él no les trajo ningún cambio, ni recibo.

Alrededor de la medianoche, algunas de las chicas estaban dormidas, y algunas estaban en sus teléfonos, yo inclusa. Seguí enviando mensajes a mi esposo, familia y amigos porque no podía cerrar los ojos. No pude descansar porque la puerta era parcialmente de vidrio, la parte de vidrio estaba teñida de negro, pero había una línea en la que se veía a través y durante todo mi tiempo allí, habían hombres ocasionalmente caminando para mirarnos, haciéndome sentir incómoda y un poco asustada.

Mientras tuve toda una noche sin descanso, comencé a golpear la puerta a las 6:20 de la mañana para que me dejaran salir e ir a mi puerta de embarque. Un hombre abrió la puerta con mucho cuidado, asegurándose de que no tuviera espacio para salirme. Le dije que mi vuelo era pronto y que sus colegas me dijeron la noche anterior de que alguien vendría a sacarme a las 6:30 a.m. Simplemente el dijo "no, espera”, cerró la puerta, y volvió a encerrarnos.

No quería perder mi vuelo, todo lo que quería hacer en este momento era obtener mi pasaporte y marcharme con mi esposo. La chica Etíope y Mexicana siguieron golpeando la puerta para ayudarme a salir de allí, porque temían que yo perdiera mi vuelo y que harían lo mismo con todas ellas. Mi vuelo era a las 8 am mientras que el resto de las chicas era a las 10 am, así que todavía tenían tiempo, pero a mí me dijeron que saldría de allí a las 6:30 am y ¡no había nadie viniendo por mí!

Eran las 7 de la mañana y un tipo con chaleco de seguridad abrió la puerta y llamó mi nombre. Me sentí tan aliviada, y también todas las chicas, y me desearon buena suerte. Este hombre me llevó de regreso a la oficina del Oficial de Inmigración y allí había un hombre Inglés con un niña de 3 años y una esposa con un pasaporte Chino. Pude notar su frustración con él tratando de explicarles que su esposa es residente del Reino Unido y que no ha estado en China en años. Una persona que trabajaba para Inmigración les dijo que no le importaba, pero que tenían 2 opciones: regresar al Reino Unido o ir a Malasia y solicitar una visa de turista para su esposa. Me metí en su conversación y les dije que me hicieron pasar la noche en una sala de detención y que me estaban deportando, y que si iban a Malasia y solicitaban una visa, les tomaría tiempo y dinero y no hay garantía que su esposa la obtendrá, y como están las cosas ahora, lo más probable es que se la nieguen. Tan pronto que les dije eso, el agente de seguridad me dijo que agarrara mis cosas, que estábamos listos para partir. Rápidamente le deseé buena suerte a esta familia y me fui. Mientras seguridad me estaba llevando a la puerta de mi embarque, ¿adivina qué? Otro avión de Aeroflot acababa de aterrizar, y pude escuchar que se hablaba Ruso, pero nadie estaba siendo detenido, aun mas, los agentes de inmigración Tailandesa los estaban recibiendo muy mien, lleno de sonrisas.

Después de caminar durante unos 10 minutos, pude ver a mi esposo. Los viajeros me miraban por completo, al ver que caminaba con seguridad, me miraban mal, me hubiera gustado que supieran lo que realmente sucedió. Tan pronto como nos subimos al avión, pedí mi pasaporte, el tipo de seguridad se lo dio a una azafata y me dijo que me lo darían en KUL.

Una vez que que aterrizamos, la azafata entregó mi pasaporte al personal del aeropuerto y nos indicó que lo acompañáramos. Siguiéndolo, nos lleva a una sala y nos pide que le mostremos nuestros vuelos de regreso. En este momento, mi esposo y yo leímos que Filipinas e Indonesia cerraron sus fronteras y temiendo que Japón hiciera lo mismo, y con lo que me acabó de pasar, no queríamos nada más que volver a casa. Mi esposo siguió adelante y compró vuelos de regreso a Fukuoka, y se los mostró a este tipo. Luego este muchacho procede a pedirnos que lo sigamos. Nos llevó a una habitación llena de gente sentada en el suelo. Parecían Indios, y habían unos 200 de ellos. En esta sala, me tomaron una fotografía y mis huellas digitales, y finalmente me devolvieron mi pasaporte. “Finalmente libre”. Me sentí mal por esas personas sentadas en el suelo, no sabía por qué estaban allí, y las autoridades no las trataban bien.

Tan pronto que tuve mi pasaporte en mis manos, mi esposo y yo salimos rápidamente de allí y fuimos a reservar un hotel en el aeropuerto. Eran las 10 am y nuestro vuelo de regreso a Fukuoka no era hasta las 11:45 pm. Lo que nos encantó es que el aeropuerto de KUL tiene alrededor de 5 hoteles, mas o menos, todos dentro del aeropuerto. Muy conveniente.

Nos registramos, e inmediatamente fui a ducharme. Han pasado 31 horas desde la última vez que me duché. Por supuesto, después de ducharnos, nos tomamos una siesta. Nos aseguramos de levantarnos un par de horas antes de nuestro vuelo, ir a tomar algo de comida e ir de compras, ya que notamos que habían muchas tiendas. Tomé fotos de tiendas y comida en KUL, la realidad era que íbamos a volver a casa, sin tener vacaciones, y solo quería mantener una actitud positiva.

Finalmente eran las 11:15 pm y fuimos a nuestra puerta de embarque. Al mostrar mi pasaporte en la puerta, una señora revisó mi temperatura y, mientras hablaba con su colega en su idioma, me di cuenta de que decía “Italia".

Inmediatamente le dije que vivía en Japón y le mostré mi permiso Japonés en mi pasaporte, y me dejaron continuar.

Subimos al avión y llegamos a Fukuoka el domingo 15 de marzo a las 7 de la mañana. Tras Inmigración, un hombre Japonés dice ITALIA mientras señala mi pasaporte. Pero cuando le mostré mi permiso Japonés, me deja avanzar en la fila. Otro agente de Inmigración me entrega un documento preguntando si he estado en Italia, Hong Kong o China en los últimos 14 días. Marqué la casilla que decía que no, lo feché, lo firmé y me dejaron ir. Eso fue todo. Estaba de vuelta en casa.

Al final del día, siempre creo que todo sucede por una razón. Hoy, 18 de marzo, 5 días después de lo sucedido, estoy agradecida por estar sana y salva en casa con mi esposo y nuestro cachorro. Sí decidiéramos quedarnos en Malasia por un par de días más, para tener unas mini vacaciones, nos habríamos quedado atrapados en el país, ya que Malasia cerró sus fronteras ayer, el 17 de marzo. Triste por lo que nos pasó en Tailandia, todo lo que deseo es que la Inmigración Tailandesa me hubiera tratado de manera diferente. Mi 25 cumpleaños es definitivamente un cumpleaños que nunca olvidaré.

(Fotos de esta experiencia al final de esta publicación)


Mi scuso in anticipo per questo lungo post, ma voglio essere più dettagliata possibile, perché fino ad oggi non riesco ancora a credere che mi sia successo. Si noti inoltre che questa è stata la mia esperienza con l’Immigrazione Tailandese che, secondo me, sarebbe potuta essere gestita molto meglio.

All’inizio di gennaio di quest’anno, mio marito ci ha prenotato una vacanza di 2 settimane per Phuket, in Thailandia, per i nostri compleanni a marzo.

Al momento viviamo in una tranquilla cittadina Giapponese e l’aeroporto più vicino è a Fukuoka, ad un’ora e venti minuti in auto da casa nostra. Abbiamo deciso di andare a Fukuoka in autobus, il giorno prima del nostro volo, per esplorare la città e trascorrere la notte lì, dato che il nostro volo era alle 7 del mattino del giorno successivo.

Venerdì 13 marzo: giorno di partenza dal Giappone ed il mio compleanno.

Ci siamo diretti all’aeroporto alle 5:30 del mattino. e sebbene era mattina presto e l’aeroporto assomigliasse ad una città fantasma, il pannello di programmazione dei voli aveva 10 voli in partenza, con tutti i voli cancellati, lampeggianti in rosso tranne due: uno per Taipei, Taiwan e l’altro, che era il nostro volo per Kuala Lumpur, in Malesia.

Salimmo sull’aereo e partimmo per iniziare la nostra vacanza!

Dopo aver volato per 6 ore, siamo arrivati a Kuala Lumpur. La nostra sosta li è stata di circa 5 ore. Nel momento c’è un caos enorme nel mondo per colpa di una pandemia conosciuta come COVID19, che io e mio marito, per ammazzare un po di tempo, ci siamo messi a leggere delle cose su Internet. Abbiamo trovato diversi articoli sugli avvisi di viaggio, divieti di viaggio, praticamente tutto, che non sapevo se avremmo avuto problemi durante il nostro viaggio in Tailandia. Mi alzai e chiesi ad un paio di persone che lavoravano all’aeroporto, quelle che controllavano le carte d’imbarco alla porta, se ci fossero problemi di volo in Tailandia come titolare di un passaporto Italiano o perché venivamo dal Giappone, e tutti dissero di no, che non c’era nessun problema, nessuna restrizione, niente di cui preoccuparsi.

Una volta saliti sull’aereo, mi sono seduta nel sedile di fianco al finestrino, mio marito nel mezzo, e mentre un uomo si stava sedendo accanto a mio marito sul sedile del corridoio, quest’uomo disse in italiano: “Ah, un altra Italiana! “Mi sono sentita così sollevata! Avevo un mal di testa da tutte le cose folli che stavo leggendo, e senza sapere cosa credere, non appena ho visto che non ero l’unica Italiana, ho sentito che le mie preoccupazioni erano sparite.

Quest’uomo Italiano si chiamava Marco, e mentre io e mio marito abbiamo chiacchierato con lui per l’intero volo di un’ora, abbiamo appreso che lui lavorava e viveva in Tailandia. Marco ci ha detto che l’Immigrazione Tailandese potrebbe reagire in modo eccessivo con il suo ed il mio passaporto per essere Italiani, ma una volta che spiegheremo tutto, andrà tutto bene.

Scendemmo dall’aereo e ci mettemmo in coda dell’Immigrazione. Una signora ha visto il passaporto di Marco ed il mio, e ci hanno immediatamente spostati da parte. A mio marito è stato detto che avrebbe potuto rimanere in coda dato che aveva un passaporto Americano, ma ovviamente è venuto con me.

Alcuni uomini dell’Immigrazione controllarono il mio passaporto e quello di Marco, ma solo a Marco gli fu permesso di tornare in coda.

Siccome lui vive e lavora in Tailandia, aveva già un visto nel suo passaporto, pero a me, mi hanno portata nell’ufficio del funzionario d’immigrazione.

Appena arrivati, in questo ufficio il mio passaporto è stato consegnato al funzionario d’immigrazione, e lui inizia ad urlare: NOOOOO ITALIA, NO, NO NOOOOOOO ITALIA !!!! Mio marito ha subito chiesto qual era il problema e quest’uomo continuava ad urlare: NOOOO ENTRATA ITALIANA! NON L’ITALIA! Cercando di dare un senso a quest’uomo, ponendogli domande con calma, poi aggiunge: DA OGGI, NO ITALIA! Mio marito ed io stavamo cercando di spiegare che, anche se ho un passaporto Italiano, perché sono nata e cresciuta lì, è dal 2007 che non vivo in Italia, che sono 13 anni, e l’ultima volta che ci sono andata erano 3 anni fa! Quest’uomo continuava ad urlare: NON CAPITE! NO ITALIA !!

Mio marito frustrato gli stava spiegando che sono anche residente degli Stati Uniti, e che era da molto tempo che non andavo in Italia, quindi perché non mi lasciavano entrare? Ancora una volta, il funzionario d’immigrazione urla: DA OGGI, NO ITALIA! NON CAPITE, ITALIA NO NO NO. NON MI IMPORTA CHE LEI RESIDENTE DEGLI STATI UNITI E NON VIVE IN ITALIA, MA L’INGRESSO DEL PASSAPORTO ITALIANO NOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!

A causa del modo in cui quest’uomo ci stava trattando, urlandoci continuamente e realizzando che non mi avrebbero lasciata entrare in Thailandia, ho iniziato a piangere. È stata una lunga giornata di viaggio, erano già le 21:45, tutto quello che volevamo era fare il check-in nel nostro hotel ed andare a festeggiare il mio compleanno con una bella cena.

Il funzionario d’immigrazione iniziò a scrivere sul suo computer mentre aveva il mio passaporto, stampando copie, compilando moduli. Un’hostess di Air Asia ci dice: “Agli italiani non è permesso entrare, a causa delle precauzioni per non consentire l’espansione del COVID19. Ancora una volta, io e mio marito abbiamo provato a spiegare che NON VIVO IN ITALIA E CHE È DA 3 ANNI CHE NON CI SONO STATA.

L’hostess disse: “Mi dispiace, ma l’ambasciata Tailandese ha preso questa decisione, quindi non possiamo farti entrare”, gli ho chiesto: “Da quando questa cosa è entrata in vigore? Capisco se stavo volando dall’Italia o ci sono stata di recente, ma non ci sono stata per molto tempo, inoltre ero preoccupata prima di volare qui ed ho chiesto a diverse persone che lavoravano all’aeroporto di KUL, incluso al personale di Air Asia, se avessimo avuto problemi con noi che volavano dal Giappone alla Tailandia, o dal fatto che sono Italiana, ed ogni persona ho chiesto questo mi ha detto che tutto andava bene e che non avrei dovuto preoccuparmi, ma se avessi saputo che non mi avrebbero permesso di entrare nel paese, non avrei fatto un passo avanti su quell’ultimo volo prima di arrivare qui ”.

Lei risponde con: “Questa legge è emersa un paio d’ore fa, e mi scuso, che l’aeroporto di KUL non ti ha informata come dovevano, ma non ci importa se non vieni dall’Italia, sei Italiana, hai un passaporto Italiano, quindi dovremmo rimandarti a Kuala Lumpur. L’ultimo volo partirà tra un’ora, quindi sarai su quel volo”. Mio marito stava cercando di convincerli a farci entrare, perché non eravamo ben informati, avrebbero dovuto fare un’eccezione, poiché questa legge è stata pubblicata mentre viaggiavamo praticamente tutto il giorno. Ma a loro non importava niente di quello che dicevamo.

A questo punto, avevo già avuto così tanto stress che mi faceva male il petto, si sentiva così stretto, che volevo lasciare la Tailandia e tornare a KUL e decidere dove altro andare. Ma le cose stavano per peggiorare. Trascorsero circa 20 minuti e la hostess ci disse che non avevamo abbastanza tempo per partire nel volo di stanotte, e che avremmo volato domani mattina. Mentre tutto questo accade, il funzionario d’Immigrazione mi dice ad alta voce: AHHH, OGGI IL TUO COMPLEANNO! BUON COMPLEANNO HAHAHAH ”letteralmente ridendo di me mentre avevo le lacrime sul viso. Come se ciò non bastasse, la hostess procede dicendo a mio marito quanto segue: “Dato che tua moglie verra espulsa e volerete domani mattina, dovremmo tenere il suo passaporto ed arrestarla, passerà la notte in una stanza di detenzione. Domani mattina, poco prima del vostro volo, la accompagneremo alla gate d’imbarco e le restituiremo il passaporto. ” -COSA ?! – Non ho letteralmente fatto nulla di male e sto ascoltando che sarò detenuta e deportato dalla Tailandia? Siete pazzi? Non ero nemmeno malata, non ho mostrato alcun sintomo, non mi hanno testata per il COVID19, né sono venuta dall’Italia e mi avrebbero arrestata ed espulsa dal paese? … Non ci potevo credere.

Stanchi di cercare di farci capire, abbiamo deciso di collaborare con loro. Io non riuscivo nemmeno a parlare, mio marito era quello che parlava per me. Aveva detto che avremmo trascorso la notte in aeroporto e saremmo partiti il giorno successivo.

La hostess poi disse a mio marito: “Signore, non può stare con sua moglie, lei deve essere detenuta. Le stanze di detenzione sono separate per sesso e tu sei libero di andartene. Domani mattina porteremmo sua moglie al gate”. Dopo molti alti e bassi, cercando di elaborare ciò che stava accadendo, ascoltando tutte queste cose folli, mio marito ha chiesto a loro se lui poteva conservare il mio passaporto. Rifiutarono e dissero che il mio passaporto sarebbe stato confiscato e ritornato appena avrei messo piede nell’aereo di KUL domani mattina.

Avevo fame e rabbia, con nient’altro per cui combattere. Ho detto a mio marito di andare in albergo e dormire la notte la, e di cercare di ottenere un rimborso per il soggiorno. Prima di andare ed essere portata nella sala di detenzione, mio marito ha chiesto al personale dell’aeroporto se sarei stata in grado di comunicarmi con con lui mentre ero detenuta, e loro hanno detto che la connessione WiFi potrebbe non arrivare lì, quindi la miglior cosa da fare sarebbe comprare una carta SIM. Dopo aver acquistato una carta SIM, ho chiesto se potevo mangiare. La ragazza incaricata di portarmi nella sala di detenzione ci disse che l’unico modo era di mandare mio marito a comprarmi del cibo e poi lui l’avrebbe dato a questa ragazza, e lei me lo avrebbe portato. Di conseguenza, ho detto addio a mio marito (dall’aspetto) perché mi stavano letteralmente portando via.

Questa ragazza mi portò al lato dell’aeroporto dove diceva STAFF ONLY. Dopo un paio di metri, abbiamo girato a sinistra e c’era un corridoio pieno di schedari e due porte. La prima porta aveva un’insegna del bagno per gli uomini, e la seconda porta ,per le donne. Davanti a queste porte c’era una sedia dove qualcuno si sedeva come guardia. Non appena abbiamo raggiunto la parte anteriore della porta delle donne, ho capito che entrambe le porte erano chiuse a chiavi. La ragazza ha aperto la porta delle donne 3 volte e una volta entrata nella stanza, ho visto 2 ragazze che dormivano e 2 ragazze che parlavano al telefono. In questa stanza c’era un letto a castello, 2 divani ed una sedia. C’era anche un bagno. Puzzava di urina e non c’era sapone per le mani. Buona! Voglio dire, la ragione per cui ero lì era perché c’è una pandemia in tutto il mondo, dove chiedono a tutti di praticare l’igiene in ogni momento, lavandosi le mani frequentemente con il sapone per le mani, e io sono rinchiusa, e cosa? NON C’E SAPONE? … semplicemente senza parole.

Non potevo credere che fosse il mio compleanno e sarei stata detenuta in una stanza come un criminale. Un paio di minuti dopo, qualcuno ha aperto la porta e vedo che è stata la stessa ragazza che mi ha portato in quella stanza, portandomi il cibo che mio marito mi ha mandato con lei. Un paio di minuti dopo, una nuova ragazza detenuta è entrata nella stanza. Mi ha chiesto se stavo bene, ed ho spiegato che nonostante sembrassi debole perché stavo piangendo, era per lo più arrabbiata perché era il mio compleanno e non capivo perché fossi lì. Abbiamo iniziato a parlare e poi tutte le altre ragazze hanno iniziato a presentarsi. 3 ragazze provenivano dall’India, 1 dall’Etiopia e 1 dal Messico. La ragazza Etiope ha tirato fuori un documento dall’Ambasciata Tailandese con un elenco di paesi che non potevano ottenere un Visto all’Arrivo (VOA). Tutti i nostri paesi erano nella lista. Questa non era la mia prima volta in Tailandia, ci ero stata in precedenza nel 2016 ed avevo ottenuto una VOA appena ero arrivata, ma è per questo che non sono riuscita a farlo stavolta, perché il VOA erano appena stati sospesi per alcuni paesi dal 13 marzo fino al il 30 settembre 2020. Quello che non riuscivo a capire è che questo documento conteneva anche la Russia, tuttavia, quando fui portata nella sala di detenzione, c’era un volo di Aeroflot in arrivo dalla Mosca, in Russia, e sono sicura che avevano dei Russi su quel volo, ma nessuno su quel volo era detenuto. Se l’immigrazione Tailandese avrebbe applicato la loro “legge” a tutti, perché hanno lasciato entrare i Russi? Per questo dico che non è giusto. Se si devono applicare delle regole, applicale a tutti. Non dovrebbe esserci alcun tipo di favoritismo.

Mentre continuavo a parlare con queste ragazze, ho appreso che la loro sosta prima di raggiungere Phuket era anche a Kuala Lumpur, ma tutte avevano volato con Malaysia Airlines, a differenza di me, che avevo volato con Air Asia. Ma il funzionario d’Immigrazione ha costretto tutti a riacquistare i biglietti per KUL …invece con me, ci hanno fatto pagare solo per il volo aereo di mio marito, poi fa senso, perche a me mi stavano deportando dal paese, quindi non era giusto farmi pagare per il volo di ritorno. Ma allora, perché hanno costretto queste ragazze a pagare per i loro voli di ritorno a KUL se le espellevano come me? E per non parlare del fatto che, per i voli di queste ragazze, incluso quello di mio marito, dovevano essere pagati solamente in contanti, al funzionario d’Immigrazione. Dove sono finiti quei soldi, alla compagnia aerea o a lui? ..

Le ragazze avevano fame, io ero l’unica che aveva già cibo, quindi loro hanno iniziato a bussare alla porta per attirare l’attenzione di qualcuno. Un ragazzo entrò nella stanza e si offrì di comprarli del cibo. Tutti i soldi che sono stati dati a quest’uomo, lui ne chiedeva di più, dicendo che non bastavano. Una volta che lui è tornato con il cibo, non ha portato a loro nessun cambiamento, né ricevuta.

Verso mezzanotte, alcune ragazze dormivano e altre erano al telefono, incluso io. Continuavo a mandare messaggi a mio marito, famiglia ed amici perché non riuscivo a chiudere gli occhi. Non riuscivo a riposare perché parte della porta di vetro era tinta di nero e c'era una linea che era trasparente e per tutto il mio tempo lì dentro, c'erano uomini che passavano di tanto in tanto a guardarci da questo punto, facendomi sentire a disagio e un po 'spaventata.

Mentre avevo trascorso una notte agitata, ho iniziato a bussare alla porta alle 6:20 del mattino per farmi uscire ed andare alla mia gate. Un uomo aprì la porta con molta attenzione, assicurandosi che io non avessi spazio per uscire. Gli dissi che il mio volo era presto e che i suoi colleghi mi avevano detto la sera prima che qualcuno sarebbe venuto a portarmi fuori alle 6:30 del mattino. Lui semplicemente disse no, aspetta” e chiuse la porta di nuovo.

Non volevo perdere il mio volo, tutto cio che volevo fare era ottenere il mio passaporto e partire con mio marito. La ragazza Etiope e quella Messicana continuavano a bussare alla porta per aiutarmi ad uscire da lì, perché avevano paura che avrei perso il mio volo e che avrebbero fatto lo stesso con tutte loro. Il mio volo era alle 8 del mattino mentre il resto delle ragazze era alle 10 del mattino, quindi avevano ancora tempo, ma siccome mi avevano promesso che alle 6:30 del mattino sarei uscita da li, non c’era ancora nessuno che venisse per me!

Erano le 7 del mattino ed un ragazzo con un giubbotto di sicurezza aprì la porta e chiamò il mio nome e mi disse di prendere le mie cose e seguirlo. Ero così sollevata, e lo erano anche tutte le altre ragazze, e mi augurarono buona fortuna. Quest’uomo mi riportò all’ufficio del funzionario d’Immigrazione ed ho notato che c’era un signore Inglese con una bambina di 3 anni, ed una moglie con un passaporto Cinese. Ho potuto notare la loro frustrazione nel cercare di spiegare a loro che sua moglie è residente nel Regno Unito e che non è stata in Cina da anni. Una persona che lavorava per l’Immigrazione le disse a loro che non gliene importava, ma che avevano 2 opzioni: tornare nel Regno Unito o andare in Malesia e richiedere un visto turistico per sua moglie. Mi sono intromessa nella loro conversazione e le ho detto loro che mi avevano fatto passare la notte in una stanza di detenzione e che mi stavano espellendo dal paese, e che se fossero andati in Malesia ed avrebbero richiesto un visto, si sarebbe speso tempo e denaro e non c’è garanzia che sua moglie lo otterrà. Allo stato attuale di come stanno le cose, era molto probabile che non le avrebbero dato un visto. Non appena l’ho detto, l’ufficiale di sicurezza mi ha detto di prendere le mie cose, che eravamo pronti per partire. Ho augurato buona fortuna a questa famiglia e me ne sono andata. Mentre la sicurezza mi stava portando al gate di imbarco, indovina un po ‘? Un altro aereo Aeroflot era appena atterrato e sentivo parlare Russo, ma nessuno era detenuto, inoltre gli agenti Tailandesi d’Immigrazione li stavano accogliendo molto bene, con degli enormi sorrisi.

Dopo aver camminato per circa 10 minuti, ero in grado di vedere mio marito. I viaggiatori mi guardarono completamente, vedendo che stavo camminando con sicurezza, mi guardavano male, mi sarebbe piaciuto molto che sapessero cosa era realmente successo. Non appena siamo saliti sull’aereo, ho chiesto il mio passaporto, ma l’addetto alla sicurezza lo ha consegnato ad una hostess e lei mi ha detto che me lo avrebbero consegnato a KUL.

Una volta atterrati, l’hostess consegnò il mio passaporto al personale dell’aeroporto e indicò che dovevamo seguirlo. Seguendolo, ci porta in una stanza e ci chiede di mostrargli i nostri voli di ritorno. In quel momento, io e mio marito leggemmo che le Filippine e l’Indonesia avevano appena chiuso i loro confini, e temendo che il Giappone avrebbe fatto lo stesso, e con quello che mi era appena successo, non volevamo altro che tornare a casa. Mio marito ha proseguito ad acquistare dei voli per Fukuoka e li ha mostrati a questo ragazzo. Quindi questo ragazzo procede a chiederci di seguirlo ancora un’altra volta. Ci condusse in una stanza piena di gente seduta sul pavimento. Sembravano Indiani e ce n’erano circa 200. In questa stanza, mi hanno fatto una foto e preso le mie impronte digitali ed alla fine mi hanno restituito il passaporto. “Finalmente ero libera.” Mi sono sentita male per quelle persone sedute sul pavimento, non sapevo perché fossero lì, e le autorità non le stavano trattando bene.

Appena ho avuto il mio passaporto in mano, io e mio marito abbiamo prenotato un hotel in aeroporto. Erano le 10 del mattino, ed il nostro volo di ritorno per Fukuoka non era fino alle 23:45. Ciò che abbiamo adorato è che l’aeroporto KUL ha circa 5 hotel, più o meno, tutti all’interno dell’aeroporto. Molto conveniente.

Ci siamo registrati e sono andata subito a farmi una doccia. Sono passate 31 ore dall’ultima volta che mi ero fatta una doccia. Certo, dopo la doccia, ci siamo messi a fare un pisolino. Ci siamo assicurati di alzarci un paio d’ore prima del nostro volo, per andare a mangiare qualcosa e fare un po di shopping. Ho fatto foto a negozi e cibo a KUL, perche la realtà a questo punto era che saremmo tornati a casa, senza fare ferie, e volevo solamente mantenere un atteggiamento positivo.

Finalmente erano le 23:15 e andammo alla nostra gate. Quando ho mostrato il mio passaporto alla porta, una signora ha controllato la mia temperatura e, mentre parlava con la sua collega nella sua lingua, mi sono resa conto che aveva aveva detto “Italia”.

Gli dissi immediatamente che vivevo in Giappone e gli mostrai il mio permesso Giapponese e mi lasciarono continuare.

Salimmo sull’aereo e arrivammo a Fukuoka domenica 15 marzo alle 7 del mattino. Dopo l’Immigrazione, un Giapponese disse lTALIA indicando il mio passaporto. Ma quando gli ho mostrato il mio permesso Giapponese, mi ha lasciata continuare. Un’altro agente d’Immigrazione mi consegna un documento e mi chiese se ero stata in Italia, Hong Kong o in Cina negli ultimi 14 giorni. Ho spuntato la casella che diceva no, l’ho datato, l’ho firmato e mi hanno lasciato andare. Questo è quanto. Ero tornata a casa.

Alla fine, credo sempre che tutto succede per un motivo. Oggi, 18 marzo, 5 giorni dopo quello che è successo, sono grata di essere al sicuro a casa con mio marito ed il nostro cucciolo. Se avessimo deciso di rimanere in Malesia per un altro paio di giorni, per farci una mini vacanza, saremmo rimasti bloccati nel paese, visto che la Malesia ha chiuso i suoi confini ieri, 17 marzo. Triste per quello che ci è successo in Tailandia, tutto ciò che desidero è che l’immigrazione Tailandese mi avrebbe trattata in un modo diverso. Il mio 25 ° compleanno è sicuramente un compleanno che non dimenticherò mai.

(Continua a scorrere in basso per le foto di questa esperienza)

#thailand #tailandia #inmigraciontailandes #thaiImmigration #covid19 #nightmareinThailand #coronavirus #travel #viaggio #traveler #italianpassport #passaportoitaliano #italianpassport #travelin2020 #valsjourneys #valsjourneysblog #traveldiary #diariodiviaggio

126 views0 comments

Leave a comment!



Endless travel stories &
 travel tips all in one place!
  • Grey Facebook Icon
  • YouTube
  • Grey Instagram Icon
  • Pinterest
  • TripAdvisor